Sunday, July 5, 2009

Going Green..?


There is something so appealing to me about "Going Green." The only unappealing thing is that it seems to be mostly popular in the secular society vs. the Christian society. Why is that?...

I long to live on a farm where we grow all our own crops and have little animals that provide for us as well. I want my family to work and play together on our own land. I want to live in a community where being wasteful is looked down upon and where we are teaching our children (and ourselves) to make the most with what we have! I know, I know, I should be amish... but the problem there is that they isolate themselves too much from society. Can we say "no evangelizing" ? I want to be in the world but not of it. I need to be "out in the open" to share Christ.

I feel we as Christians should take care of the earth we have, eat better, use less energy, be more self-sufficient etc. This takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice. We live in an "instant, I want it now, culture" where sacrifice and hard work are hardly popular.

I found this great video of a family that is doing what I dream of. They live in Pasendena Ca. and live on 1/5 of an acre and they are very close to being self-sufficient. Maybe someday... Lord willing of course (and husband willing too :0)

Enjoy this video! (just click on the post title above: going green)


2 comments:

  1. Katie, thank you for this post. I feel the same way you do. I think that the reason "going green" is mostly popular in the secular world is that it is novel there. God has taught us to be stewards of the earth since Genesis, and many Christians I know have been practicing “stewardship” or “green” ways as long as I have known them. My mother-in-law is a beautiful example of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous comment. I feel the same as you do too, Katie!

    I have ALWAYS wanted to live on a couple acres in the country...leading a "simple" life. It would require a lot of hard work and sacrifice, but I am convinced it would be worth it. Maybe someday! In the meantime, the Lord will have to help us adjust our priorities...He's still workin' on us! :o)

    ReplyDelete