Saturday, April 13, 2013

Godly Mother Part 1


I feel like much of my spiritual journey since becoming a Christian 10 years ago has consisted of undoing my old way of thinking. Rom. 12:2 says: "Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." I need a lot of renewing.

I have noticed that much of what the bible says is the opposite of what everyone else is saying. Do you ever feel that way? Christianity requires a lot of what I call: "opposite thinking". Much of what God says is the opposite of my own thinking. The Word says that His ways aren’t my ways or your ways or the world's ways. I believe this is also true when it comes to motherhood. We have to turn to the Word of God to determine how to be a godly mother.

I have eight points that will outline some differences I have noticed between a godly mother and a worldly mother. I will post a point a day. This is not a list of comparisons to make you feel like a loser. None of us will ever live these out perfectly. Sanctification is a growth process that will not end this side of heaven. I do hope they challenge you in a good way to seek God and His ways and to ask Him to renew your mind in regards to what He sees as a godly mother.

Point #1) A godly mother adapts herself to her husband. A worldly mother resists her husband.

1 Peter 3:1 in the amplified version reads: “
you married women, be submissive to your own husbands [adapt yourselves to them], so that even if any do not obey the Word [of God], they may be won over not by discussion but by the [godly] lives of their wives,”


Adapt means to adjust or modify. Adapting ourselves to our husbands benefits everyone in our home including us. I included pictu
res of Scott and I on our wedding day because this is where I vowed to submit to him... adapt to him... honor him. I am sobered by those vows! What a lovely day that was!




How we are as wives is a big reflection of how we are as mothers. The bible has much less instruction on how we are to be as moms than for how we are to be as wives. How we are as wives pours over into how we are as moms. Children need a good wife for their daddy.

How are you doing in the area of submitting yourself to your husband? In adapting to him? Are you a blessing to him? Are you his helper or his nagger? Would he describe you as a contentious, unsatisfied woman?  How would your children describe you as a wife? Do you study your husband and look for ways to adapt to him? Or do you resent him and resist him?


Now I can read some of your minds: “Yeah well he!....” “If he would just love me like the bible says to then I would submit!”

We are all called to submit to God. He is the perfect Husband. He loves us unconditionally and yet we rebel against Him everyday. Submission is never easy. No matter who you are married to. It’s a choice. We are to submit to and adapt to our husbands as unto the Lord. Always keep in mind that it is ultimately for God anyway, not your husband.

I know that some of you are in some really hard marriages. I am so sorry. I pray the Lord gives you discernment and wisdom as to how you are to live out the scriptures in regards to being a good wife. I pray He guides you in motherhood and wifehood. Please also consider seeking godly counsel from your pastor. I truly believe it’s never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment