Saturday, June 13, 2009

Whining


I have a problem with whining. Some times I feel like a two year old when I don't get my way (see picture above). I may not be showing it outwardly but inwardly I am having a tantrum! I need to discipline my children when they whine/pout for their own good. I recently read this by a grandmother:

"...now I correct more for the sake of the children's own happiness than because I find them irritating. Now, if I swat a grandchild's bottom for pouting after a reprimand, and say, "No pouting. Play and have a good time", I am doing it to render the child's life joyful. I am setting up this child for future success and happiness by consistently helping him to reject and transcend the frustrations and anger that will poison his future paths. Correcting behavior does not drive a child to bury or deny his feelings. Rather, he learns he has a choice regarding those things he will think and act on. One cannot think good thoughts and smile while stewing and sulking in anger. Try it. Another major reason I discipline pouting is because every minute of pouting, whining, and rebellion is a minute outside of God’s desire for us, and of happiness lost. In correcting my grandchildren for this, I am teaching them to do as we are told in Philippians 8:8-9: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." I am teaching my grandchildren to dwell on, think about and ponder, what is good; knowing that their reward will be genuine, radiant joy..."

What a great thought! I don't want my children to turn out like me. I want them to have that radiant joy that comes from thinking on that which is good, even in the midst of not getting their way. As Christians we are called to deny ourselves, deny our own interests and wants and keep our eyes on the goal-Jesus. He is our example. Can you ever picture Him whining? Never. I want to practice NOT whining about anything or anyone. I know the more I practice that the more naturally it will come. Lately I have been trying to not even complain about the weather.

So next time you discipline your child (or yourself) for whining or pouting, remember, it is for their good.

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome, Katie!

    While reading Reb Bradley's book on child training, Sam and I discussed how many similarities there are between us and our children. How our behavior can look just as silly, shameful and sad to our Heavenly Father.

    We also discussed the many times He has "swatted" us on the proverbial bottoms and told us to "No pouting. Go play and have a good time." :o)

    Don't you just love how faithful our Father God is? You'll never catch Him off guard, having a lazy day where He threatens, "Don't make me come over there!" lol

    I wish I could be just half the parent He is! Until then, I'll just aspire to be a better kid. No more whining and pouting! :o)

    ReplyDelete