Friday, June 26, 2009

Birth Control/family planning

Eye, yi, yi. TOUCHY subject. I have an opinion. Don't we all? Here is mine.

Scott and I originally planned on letting God plan our family... completely... with no intervention on our part. With 9 months of being sick (throwing up often until the last day of pregnancy) I have wondered if I am to be pregnant so often and especially with little ones running around. It was easier when I was pregnant the first time and I could lay on the couch all day. As of now, we are letting God plan #3. Before deciding this we had contemplated birth control. I had heard that SOME forms of birth controls acted as the morning after pill aborting fertilized eggs. I knew that I wanted to stay far away from that. So I asked my mid wife which ones did that. She looked at me with confusion as if I had asked a stupid question. "None of them do that" was her reply. I felt better. So I decided to get on what they call the "mini pill" because it doesn't interfere with breast milk supply. When I went to pick up my prescription I read the paper work and it said "prevents pregnancy by inhibiting FERTILIZED EGG's attachment to uterine wall" WHAT? that is exactly what I didn't want. I called my midwife and said, "is there any form of birth control (aside from the obvious like condoms and diaphragms) that I can take that won't do this?" The reply was: "No. All forms of birth control do this. With some it is more likely then others (like the mini pill)." I asked, "what's the difference then between birth control and the morning after pill?" She said- "the only difference is that the morning after pill is a much stronger dose of the same hormones." I was disturbed greatly. wait a minute, do my christian sisters know this? We as Christians believe that life begins at conception, right?

One thing I constantly think of is that if I had used birth control Rhea and Ricky wouldn't be here. Wow. My life without Rhea or Ricky? This picture reminds me of why I choose not to use any sort of planning/birth control.

Wanted to clear something up here. You might hear that birth control prevents ovulation. This is true for about 50% of people. There is no way to know if you are in that 50%. I write this because if I were you I would want to know! No one ever told me this before. I felt I needed to write this to have a clear conscience. Below is an article with much more detail on the subject. I highly recommend you read it. http://www.epm.org/artman2/publish/prolife_birth_control_pill/A_Longer_Condensation_of_Does_The_Birth_Control_Pill_Cause_Abortions.shtml

2 comments:

  1. So encouraging to hear your story...I do believe that God will give you the grace to get through any and every pregnancy he chooses to bless you guys with! For me if they are hard, I usually think this will help me be closer to Jesus in his sufferings. Each child is definitely worth it!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog...nice to "meet" you!

    meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also wanted to say you have a beautiful family! And we have the same favorite books...both of them (Bible and Created) were life changing for me :)

    ReplyDelete