Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Blessing?



Here they are, my little blessings from the Lord!

I have been thinking so much lately about the psalm 127: Except the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; except the Lord keeps the city, the watchman wakes but in vain. Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. As arrows are in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy, blessed, and fortunate is the man whose quiver is filled with them!...

Isn't that a beautiful chapter? Children are described as a heritage, as a reward, arrows in the hand of a warrior and those who have them are described as blessed and happy and yet, when I mention that we are letting the Lord bring "#3" as He wills, the church often looks at me and says: "better you than me", "you're crazy", "you need to be responsible" (I am not even sure what that last one means...)

I used to say that we were "letting the Lord plan our family". I want to still say that but I don't know what the future holds. As of now Scott and I have felt led to let the Lord plan our family (hence 2 children in 2 years :0) I would consider my life blessed because of them. I would consider myself happier now that I have Rhea and Ricky in my life. I believe I will be even happier when the Lord decides to bless us with another. More tired? yes. Is my patience more tested? yes. Do I have to put myself last more often? yes. That is the Christian life though, right? Aren't we called to put God first, others second and ourselves last? Children help me do that. I am more dependent on God then myself and I find great refuge in the promise that His strength is made perfect in my weakness and that His grace is sufficient.

It frustrates me when Christians exclaim: "Trust the Lord!" and then tell me that God is practical and sensible and He would have me take control of how many children I have and when I have them.

I listened to an awesome message by Voddie Baucham. This guy pulled no punches. Here is the link:

http://www.fccm.net/site/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=71

If you choose to listen to it, you have to look for his message-he is next to the month of march.

He talked about how as Christians we despise children. wow. He gives an example of a Pastor who announced to his church that his wife thought she was pregnant and that when they found out she wasn't they said "man, that was a close one". Like they almost had an encounter with cancer or something...

I don't pass judgement on those who wish to limit the amount of children they have and I wish others would not pass judgement on me.

One woman who has trusted the Lord with her family size that I really admire can be found at: generationcedar.com

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post Katie! I've always though that Children are a blessing to the Lord, and I think it is so sad that people feel that way about them.

    I haven't listened to Voddie's message yet, but I plan to listen to it as soon as I can, along with Scott's sermon.

    ReplyDelete