Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Our Current Morning Routine

What do your mornings look like?

How our mornings go will often determine if we will have a productive day or not.


Our mornings used to be very loosey-goosey. We would get up lounge around, eat breakfast (at different times), I would sip on coffee, read my bible and then play on the computer (by play I mean check facebook and read blogs), the kids would run around playing... no one got dressed... no chores got done and by 11 a.m. I was feeling overwhelmed and like I "can't get it all done!"

"There are fewer interruptions in the mornings" I thought. "Why don't we do as much as we can then so that I don't feel like pulling my hair out in the afternoon/evening when numerous interruptions come up?!" So I did. I made a SIMPLE routine for us that works FOR NOW. I say "for now" because I am sure it will change/be added to as the months go on. For now, I have five kids seven and under with a newborn and so this is the morning routine that works currently.

Wake up (usually around 8)


Eat breakfast-All of us together. Usually something simple like peanut butter toast. Do bible study around the table, usually led by Daddy. 


After breakfast the kids put their dishes in the sink and empty the dishwasher.
 

When the dishwasher is emptied Johnny (age 4) makes the kids' beds and gets dressed. Rhea (age 7) picks up the room (including putting her clothes away), gets dressed and brushes her hair. Ricky (age 6) picks up the room as well, putting his clothes away and gets dressed. I am usually cleaning the kitchen and loading the dishwasher while they do this.

Then, we all head downstairs for homeschooling. This is usually around 9:30 or so. Much better than trying to start schooling at 11!

Ricky is currently doing 2-4 pages in his workbooks (I use ACE curriculum for Ricky and Rhea and LOVE it) and Rhea is doing 4-6 pages in her workbooks (she is about to finish up her second grade curriculum and start third! In the middle of January! Another thing I love about homeschooling is the ability to go at your child's pace). Johnny (age 4) and I do some preschool work while Charis runs around and does cute stuff.

That's it. Pretty simple, but efficient.

After schoolwork Ricky and Rhea do their piano work, we eat lunch, finish up chores (cleaning living room, kitchen, laundry) and then they have free time/PE outside.


How about you? What is your morning routine? Any tips for moms with lots of littles?

No comments:

Post a Comment