Thursday, May 2, 2013

Not According To Plan




 
Today did not go according to MY plan.

3:30 a.m.- Charis wakes... MY plan: Charis wake at 7 a.m.

4:00 a.m.- get Charis back to bed.


7:00 a.m.-Blood drive people arrive at church fellowship hall (right next to bedroom window) and begin chatting and unloading all their loud equipment. MY plan: sleep in until at least 7:30.

7:10 a.m.-Kids wake up to phone ringing two times in a row. The blood drive people set church alarm off and needed help.

7:15 a.m.- EVERYBODY is up. NOT MY PLAN :)

7:30 a.m. - I decide since I am sleep deprived that I want to be mean to my husband. Not a good plan. Especially since it is supposed to be his day off... who wants to spend their day off with a crabby wife?





 

8:00 a.m.- Decide to be nice to my husband and we have a nice chat while kids run around and make a mess and I pretend they aren't. That was not part of my plan. But it was nice!

The times start becoming a blur after this....

Some time a little later-Scott goes and donates blood. Ricky follows.

Around 11 a.m.-Friend comes over. Him and Scott talk forever (okay, not forever, but close). MY plan: spend family day together at park... or at least have daddy take big kids to the park so I can clean.

12:00- Scott realizes he can't take kids to the park so we settle for a picnic in backyard. NOT my plan.

1:30-Scott gets ready to go to office. DEFINITELY NOT my plan on his day off but because he is doing something special with kids all day Saturday while I host a ministry event at my house he has to go. I am left with four crazy kids to myself. Not my plan.

Things get blurry again :)


I notice Johnny isn't napping... not good. Not according to plan.

4:30- Charis wakes up and I am desperately trying to keep Johnny awake so he doesn't fall asleep at 5 and wake up at 4... Mission somewhat failed: he fell asleep at 5:45... still not my plan.

5:45- Johnny is passed out on floor, Ricky starts sniffling like he is getting a cold, Charis won't stop crying and has a cold, daddy is still at office... can you guess?! Not my plan!

6:30-nurse Charis again to try and get her to sleep. company comes over while I am in back. Ricky wakes up Johnny which throws him into a screaming fit I finally get him to go back to sleep... Not my plan.

7:00-Lay Charis down, company leaves. Tell Ricky and Rhea it's bed time (they usually go to bed at 8:30... but NOT TODAY! I like that NEW plan. :)

7:30-Realize Charis is still crying. Go in room to see she has had a...for lack of a better term... poop-explosion. We don't have a bathroom to bathe her in right now because we are remodeling so while I hold her in one arm getting poop all over me with her screaming I take the baby tub and put it on kitchen counter and fill it with bowls full of water from the kitchen sink... I realize I didn't get a washcloth so I grab a bib and she starts screaming because I forgot a towel and so when I took her out she was freezing. Get a diaper on her asap and nurse her again. lay her down. I think she is finally sleeping.

I am still in pajama clothes and haven't showered and never got around to putting on mascara... ALL OF THIS WAS NOT MY PLAN.

But it was probably His plan. His plan is always best. His plan refines me and makes me more like Christ.

"The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

This verse blesses the very depths of my mama soul. I have LOTS of plans every day... and my day never seems to go just as I planned. That's a good thing.

Motherhood in general never seems to go as planned and I think that is just the way God planned it. You see, He knew we were controlling (Genesis 3:16) and what better way to break a controlling spirit then to ruin it's plans?! He knows best. What do I know?

Motherhood is all about sacrifice. Sacrifice of sleep. Sacrifice of pride. Sacrifice of CONTROL. The sooner we realize and accept this the more we will enjoy motherhood.

Let go of your plans and allow His plan to work in your life and in your heart. He can do great things with a humble mama.







6 comments:

  1. My wife is awesome and I'm way in love with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that dose of encouragement...And vulnerability... I am feeling the same way. My plans change but I can trust that God is so wise in His plan. Lord, thank you for our children...thank you for giving us opportunities all day long to choose LIFE abundantly! Katie, you are an encouragement to me...it was so needed today. Love miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you don't mind me saying that I loved this! I know it wasn't an awesome day but we've all had days like that, so it was nice to know I'm not alone.

    My kids aren't little anymore but I am a caretaker for my elderly mom (who lives with us) and sometimes she will have an emergency and suddenly I'm off to the hospital at 4a.m., coming home at 8:00 a.m. and then going right off and doing something with very little sleep! Not my plan!

    Occasionally she's had health issues several that take hours out of my day. Not my plan!

    The special needs girl that I babysit every day will sometime scream and tantrum and I can't get anything done. Not my plan!

    Thanks for reminding me that God has a better plan and I can trust Him with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your day. So many things around here are NOT going as planned lately. Stopping in from Deep Roots at Home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, how seldom things go as we had planned. Even in our empty nest years, the days are full of interruptions and health problems, good interruptions and those that interfere. I'm trying to learn to trust God for my schedule, but I'm not always great at it. Thanks for sharing this truth in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi ladies! loved your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete