Saturday, April 2, 2016

Is Wearing A Headcovering Distracting?



Our church recently had a modesty class for ladies Sunday School in which the associate pastor's wife and I taught. We got both extremes in feedback. Some women loved it and thanked us and others.... not so much.

One thing we discussed was how modesty goes beyond just dressing sexually. It's a much bigger issue than just worrying about men lusting after you. We can be immodest in our behavior, our hearts, our home decorating and most importantly in our hearts. One way we can be immodest is in being distracting by wearing flashy things that draw attention to us.

"I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes..." 1 Timothy 2:9

I think that is what Paul is getting at in this passage. I think we can be immodest by spending an unreasonable amount of time on our looks and wearing things that are elaborate or "over the top".

One of the things we tried to major on in this modesty class was that each person needed to search their own hearts and look for areas of pride in their relationship to modesty. But unfortunately, when you talk to ladies about modesty and clothing we struggle with "keeping our eyes on our own page". We struggle with truly praying for the Lord to help us in our own lives without worrying about what others are or aren't wearing.

I have had a couple women now (one right after this modesty class) tell me: "Your headcovering is very distracting." Ouch. My response to the second woman was: "It wouldn't be such a distraction if more women in the church would obey the bible." Um... did that just come out of my mouth?! :) It is how I feel though.

It seems clear to me that the main reason so many women don't wear headcoverings to public worship is because so many women don't wear headcoverings to public worship. There is safety in numbers. People will often justify things and it is even more tempting to do so if some of "the most godly women" you know don't wear one. 


Please search the scriptures and your hearts for yourselves and see what His Word says about wearing a symbol of authority on your head.

Be sure to check out this new sermon series I found on headcoverings! You will have to scroll down a bit to get to the actual sermons. Also if you haven't seen my other posts be sure to check them out here and here.

8 comments:

  1. "My response to the second woman was: "It wouldn't be such a distraction if more women in the church would obey the bible.""

    And:

    "It seems clear to me that the main reason so many women don't wear headcoverings to public worship is because so many women don't wear headcoverings to public worship. There is safety in numbers."

    Oh, my. YES.

    This really bugs me, and it's true in other areas of biblical obedience too. Many times people do what they do not because they have studied the Bible honestly and diligently, but simply because it's what everyone else is doing. And if that goes against the Bible, they'll search for any reason to get themselves out of having to obey. ("It was just cultural!" etc. etc. etc.)

    Sounds like a lovely class - wish I could have been there! :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness! I just checked out the sermon link and that church is in my hometown - I went to university just down the street from there. Small world!!!

      Delete
    2. p.s. I think you and I are a lot alike Diana :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we have searched the Bible ourselves and are not convicted in the same things or to the same degree as others. I've been pressured (by other women due to their opinions/ convictions) in the areas of head coverings, long hair vs. short, dresses vs. pants, working on Sunday (I was an ER nurse), Sabbath vs. Sunday, TV in home or not, birth control vs. not, etc., etc. The list never ends. There is freedom in Christ when the Holy Spirit directs us and we can freely "keep our eyes on our own paper." I even attended a church numerous times where all the women wore head coverings and they even brought one for me, but I couldn't wear it without true conviction. Doing it to make them happy would have defeated the whole purpose, especially as a single woman. Doing it to fill the church with women doing it would be of the same motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate for a woman to wear one because I wanted her to or thought she should. I would love it if women wore one since that's what God wants. He says it's a shame for them not to. NO one should care what Katie LaPierre thinks though :) (well... unless it's what the bible says :) thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Here's also my favorite discussion on the subject~
    http://nogreaterjoy.org/video/bible-questions-with-michael-pearl-episode-057-does-god-want-women-to-wear-headcoverings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly stand this video :) watched it many times when I didn't want to wear a headcovering :)

      Delete