Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Are Your Kids Doing Your Job Mama?



I have been sitting A LOT the last 7 weeks. My morning sickness started at about 6 weeks and I am 13 weeks now. It usually lets up around 17 weeks. I am so looking forward to being on my feet more and being about my normal day to day activities and chores! I hate sitting around like this. But I am thankful for something it has caused me to contemplate.

I am sure you have all heard the saying: "Good parenting is working yourself out of a job." While I get the gist of it, I don't like it overall. Here is why. It feels like I have been out of a job these last 7 weeks as I shout orders from my recliner. I feel like this lazy woman (I know, I'm not...but it FEELS that way) barking at my little servants to do... my job.

We SHOULD train our children. They SHOULD be helping us because they live at home too and should be contributing when it comes to it's upkeep. BUT I am noticing something that is happening. I feel like more and more moms are spending more and more time on their computers/i-phones and less and less time keeping the home. Which we are commanded to do.

"...encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, WORKERS AT HOME, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." Titus 2:4-5

"So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to MANAGE THEIR HOMES and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander." 1 Timothy 5:14 

When we aren't keeping and managing the home we are allowing the word of God to be dishonored and we are allowing the enemy opportunity for slander. 
Keeping the home WELL is no joke. There are many things that can be done everyday to make our homes run more smoothly and efficiently. We as the managers and keepers of the home are deciding everyday how well our homes will run and how chaotic and messy our homes will be. 

In a day and age where we have so many conveniences (dishwasher, vacuums, washer, dryer etc.) there is really no excuse for a home to not be managed/kept well. Some of us, myself included, need to be asking: "Are my kids doing my job?" The Lord has not called our children to manage and keep the home. Yes we should be training them and it will bless them later in life if we do so, but we should never be barking orders from our sofa all day with the laptop and i-phone in front of us because we are too indulgent and selfish. If our homes are falling apart it's on our shoulders.

I will be the first to admit I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to keeping the home. My poor mother always worked full time outside the home and she never really gave any thought to training us. I am starting from scratch AND I am a very un-organzied person by nature. But I know God wants me to keep my home well and so I know He will answer my prayers to be a better at it. I pray to Him for wisdom on how to be the best keeper of the home I can be.

Don't embitter your children toward you. Don't make them question if mom is training them or just being lazy. We are called the keepers of the home and we need to live up to that title. 

9 comments:

  1. I am loving the Large Family Logistics book, it's like a Textbook for wives and mothers, such a blessing to my disorganization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts here! Completely agree.

    I'm so glad to hear also that you're starting to come out of pregnancy-nausea-fog. I hope you're feeling much, much better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Diana! yes, I was going to write you. I have not taken any meds for the last three days! huge! and I am only 14 weeks! the nausea is still debilitating but nothing like my other pregnancies!

      Delete
    2. Katie, WONDERFUL!! Do you think it's chance, or something you're doing, that's helping? I'm SO glad to hear you're off meds - wowza! You're amazing!

      Delete
    3. I think some of it! I will have to send you an email :)

      Delete
    4. That would be great! I'll look forward to it (whenever you have time, NO rush). :)

      Delete
  3. A good reminder, Katie. Once I heard a speaker at a home school conference say something like she had overheard her daughter's friend make a comment that she wanted to have lots of kids like Mrs. So and so (the speaker) because she sat around and did nothing. Which the speaker took as a compliment that her children were so well trained. Yuck! That really did not sit well with me at all. In fact I don't even remember anything else she said that day! And I hope my children's friends would never say that about us as parents. I want to be the leader and number one example of servanthood in our home. I see much too often in large families that the older children are doing many things that mom or dad should be doing. Like changing stinky diapers. In my opinion, that is a parent's job, (except perhaps on a rare occasion when a sibling is approaching adulthood). I hope you're feeling better too. Part of the ebb and flow of raising up a godly generation, this too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY Emmy! Thank you for that insightful comment! miss you friend!

      Delete