Sunday, August 10, 2014

My Relationship With the Computer Part 2

A few weeks ago I wrote THIS POST on my relationship with my computer. This is Part 2.

I was rather convicted by all the time I had spent at my computer while my children were living life around me. I took a break from facebook for about a month to see if it would help me spend more time with my kiddos and have a better kept home. It did both of those things. 

However, I am discovering that the internet itself is my only hobby. I really don't "do" any other extra curricular things... I don't sew, I don't do crafts, I don't even read (aside from the bible of course), I don't watch tv or movies and so the internet is my hobby. I love to read Christian women blogs and be encouraged and I love to encourage others on facebook... but it's important that these things don't happen at the expense of my family....

So, I am reevaluating and praying about my "boundaries" with the computer... and my smartphone. These things can supplement our lives and be of benefit but they can also be of great detriment when they get more attention than the ones we love.

Let me tell you a little something about me. I am extreme. And most of the time I hate it. It's annoying. Sometimes I am thankful for it because in many ways Christ Himself was extreme and so were many of the prophets. But for the most part it drives me crazy (and those around me too). The extreme part of me wants to say: "no facebook or computer or phone when kids are awake." The other side says: "can't you do these things in balance?" I am praying the Lord would refine this area in my life so that it brings Him glory in some way; even when it comes to my computer. I want to honor Him in all ways. The big, the small, the lived out loud and the lived within. May He be glorified with our hobbies, our families, our homes, our interests, our conversations, our hearts and yes, even our relationship with our computers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Katie! I like reading blogs as well and usually I read them in the morning before the kids are up or in the late afternoon, when I have things pretty much caught up and I have some free time before I need to start dinner. As you know I was on facebook for a year and then got off about a year and a half ago. I am so glad I did. There are many reasons why but mainly because fb is addictive, they try to make it that way! The more time you spend on there, the more money they make on advertising! Lots of (especially young) moms that I spend time with can't even visit for a few hours without scrolling on fb and I think it's sad and kind of rude. I also worry that fb provides many women with a false sense of connection. It doesn't take the necessary effort and care that a real life friendship entails. I just wonder if it would be better if Christian girls got off fb and invested in real women, in real conversation! Like call someone and say hey how about a cup of coffee this afternoon? Or a walk this evening? In my experience, these kinds of visits are much more edifying and satisfying than wasted hours on fb. :) But, that's just me! Pray about it and don't be afraid to follow God's leading even if it is extreme.PS Are you expecting!? Yay! Blessings of a happy and healthy pregnancy and birth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great thoughts Emmy! Thank you for commenting!

      Yes, I am expecting to have another little love the end of November. We are all so excited for this little love to join our family!

      Delete