Thursday, July 9, 2009

spanking...


Another touchy subject and one I know little about. I thought I knew enough but now I am questioning myself. when to spank? how to spank? what should I spank with? should I spank for pouting, whining...?

Last night was the first night I used a rod (a paddle) to spank Rhea. It was MUCH more effective then my hand has been. It was hard for me. I had to remind myself of scriptures that the Lord used to describe how we should discipline our children:

Prov. 13:24 "He who spares his rod of discipline hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines diligently and punishes him early."


Prov. 22:15 "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him."

Prov. 23:13-14 "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. 14 Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death."

Prov. 29:15 "The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother."

I don't spank because I want to. I spank because God says it works. I know the more consistent I am with delivering appropriate discipline at the appropriate time the more peaceful my home will be.

I emailed someone whom I consider to be one of my closest friends and mentors (Naida) and asked her what she thought. Here is what she said:

1.If you say "no" and she stops, no spanking.
2. If you say "no" and she doesn't stop, spanking.
3. Warning: "If you do that (be specific what it is she shouldn't be doing) and she does it, spanking.
4. With things like hitting and whining - spanking. Reiterating after the incident is a good reminder.

more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment